VirtualTourist, a leader in social-networking travel websites, steers travelers toward cozy spots less frequented with the release of VirtualTourist's Top 10 Unique Romantic Destinations. Its destination picks, which originate from VirtualTourist's database of over 1.4 million travel tips, skip Paris and New York City in favor of places like Croatia and Quebec City.
"When VirtualTourist.com covers the destinations you've heard of, we give you real insider info you won't find anywhere else. So it's no surprise that our list of romantic destinations includes places not commonly suggested, such as Vanuatu over Hawaii, for instance. VirtualTourist is a gold mine of advice, and it offers many paths to adventure," said Giampiero Ambrosi, general manager of VirtualTourist.com.
VirtualTourist's Top 10 Unique Romantic Destinations*
1. Dubrovnik, Croatia - George Bernard Shaw called this ancient walled city "paradise on Earth." Its timeless quality means you can fall in love again and again.
2. Santorini Island, Greece - A sea-ringed volcano, sensational sunsets and renowned local wines win over hearts every time.
3. Québec City, Canada - This historic city with a Euro flavor knows how to charm. Take in museums, the atmospheric Old Town and scenic riverside strolls.
4. Charleston, South Carolina, USA - Infused with Southern hospitality, Charleston enchants with a historic downtown, carriage rides and a romantic harbor.
5. Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany - A fortified medieval village, this Bavarian highlight has a fairytale feel. Explore an old castle, stroll down winding alleyways.
6. Udaipur, India - This lakeside jewel, with a palace as its crown, is woven with narrow lanes and countless awe-inspiring views.
7. Porto Venere, Italy - This colorful Mediterranean village, with a 16th century castle and incredible local cuisine, is named after Venus, the goddess of love.
8. Saint-Émilion, France - In vineyard country, this destination lures the visitor with wineries and a medieval charm.
9. Port Vila, Vanuatu - An air of romance lingers in this South Pacific city, full of friendly people and lush tropical scenery.
10. Ushuaia, Argentina - Follow your love to the ends of the earth. The world's southernmost city boasts natural beauty, wildlife and views of snow-capped peaks.
Read the whole article